Monday, October 18, 2010

Spoiling

Where is the line between giving your children things we never had and spoiling them?  It seems that kids today are getting way more than we ever did and the generation before us.  A lot more.  How do you give them things while at the same time ensuring that they are appreciative and know the value of money?  How much is too much to give them?  This is a tough job for parents today.  I've spoken to many of them with the same questions.  We all do our best every day and hope that we get it right in the end.

Today I struggled with these questions as I left a little "gift" for my older daughter on her desk.  She's a teenager and is so busy right now between school and a very busy social life and I miss her.  I miss her funny ways, her beautiful smile and her quick wit.  It's a hard realization when you find that your child is smarter than you and can beat you in an argument.   But I really don't need to try too hard, because I finally get to say "because I'm your mom and I said so!" I've been waiting yearrrrrrrs to say this! Ha ha.

Today I wanted to remind her that I love her no matter what is going on in our lives or how many silly little arguments we might have from week to week.  I wanted to make sure she knows that I'm thinking about her, always.  If she leaves home in a few years a little spoiled, she'll be spoiled with love and affection from her mom.  And,  I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment