Sunday, October 10, 2010

How to Make Your Sister Cry

My sister's children who are 3 years apart, moved away from home within 2 weeks of each other.  This was devastating, I know, to my sister.  I remember her saying that it's hard enough losing one, but to lose two at the same time for out of Province pursuits, is something a mom shouldn't have to go through.   We love our children so much, and we know that when they leave, they are prepared to face the world on their own and that we've done our job.  What we aren't prepared for is what we will go through.  The terrible lonely, aching, empty feeling that's left when the house is empty at the end of the day. No more watching them come and go as they take off for school in the morning, to friends houses, to work or volleyball practice.  No more hugs at the end of a long day.   I can only imagine what it will feel like when my own leave, but I have first hand knowledge of this pain by seeing my sister go through it and the talks we would have about how she was coping.  She is the best mom I know and her kids respect and love her dearly.  But nothing could have prepared her for them leaving.

When Thankgiving rolled around this year and only one of her kids was able to make it back home because of financial constraints, it was hard on her, her daughter and her husband as well as all of us, to think that someone would be missing from our table this year.  Saturday morning I woke up very early and logged on to my facebook account.  I remember seeing something my nephew wrote about wishing he were home this weekend.  My heart sank.  I went on the airline websites to take a quick peek at flights just to see if there was anything available.  There was.  Uh oh lol.  I texted my nephew and asked if he was interested in coming home and if it was even possible to get time off work.  I knew it was even earlier where he was living and knew he wouldn't be up yet.  I waited an hour at least before texting him again to call me.  A few minutes later he did and the wheels were set in motion.

About 11 p.m. my sister was at home getting ready for bed when her son, with all of us standing outside her house, opened the back door to the house, quietly, and slipped inside.  "I'm good at sneaking in Auntie, I've done this a few time," I remember him saying and I smiled. His mom was at her desk checking on a few emails before heading to bed.  In no time he was through the house and standing behind her.  We all watched from the back door as my sister, startled by the presence in the room, jumped up in disbelief, and within seconds was holding her boy again.  He was home for Thanksgiving.

My sister, her kids and husband are the most amazing people I know and I feel very blessed this Thanksgiving that we can all be together.

3 comments:

  1. I can really relate to this! I always say that I was a really great parent for my children that were tiny tots. . . Now that they are adults (and almost adults) I really struggle trying to watch them make their own way. It is good to be reminded that we aren't the only ones trying to make our way in this part of our lives. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a lot of fun to watch. Happy Thanksgiving Sister :) Nice one Brenda!

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly have the best sister in the whole wide world. Thanks to her, we had the best Thanksgiving ever. What an incredible surprise and that is my sister, so, so generous and kind. I want to be like her when I grow up! Your rock B and I love you so, so much!
    you know who :)

    ReplyDelete