Sunday, October 31, 2010

Smile

So I made it up to the hospital today to visit my friend.  She had a bad day but was still smiling and thanking us for everything we've done to try and get her family here.  She really is one of the bravest women I've ever met and she's touched my life in ways she will never know.  I am humbled by her courage and simply in awe over her amazing attitude and spirit.

I was going to offer to buy her television service as it has to very lonely and boring being in the hospital for so long, but she said she is sleeping a lot right now anyway and doesn't really want it.  I thought it could be one kind thing I could do for her today.

It's been an emotional few days but I have so much to be thankful for.  It's a good reminder today that no matter how bad things get for her, for me, for anyone, that there is always a reason, however small, to smile.  I'm reminded of a song from Charlie Chaplin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu-rLA4POkI


Smile


Smile though your heart is aching 
Smile even though it's breaking 
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by 
If you smile through your fear and sorrow 
Smile and maybe tomorrow 
You'll see the sun come shining through for you 

Light up your face with gladness 
Hide every trace of sadness 
Although a tear may be ever so near 
That's the time you must keep on trying 
Smile, what's the use of crying? 
You'll find that life is still worthwhile 
If you just smile 

That's the time you must keep on trying 
Smile, what's the use of crying? 
You'll find that life is still worthwhile 
If you just smile



No comments:

Post a Comment