Friday, October 8, 2010

Human Connection

I just recently joined a Board that helps children with cancer.  Having just joined, I now have access to the patient list.  I went up to the hospital today to drop off treats for children who come in on daily basis for chemotherapy treatments.  While I was there, I went over the list of patients currently being treated with a nurse and found out that there is one women who has relapsed and is in the hospital waiting for the results of her recent CAT scan.  She has no family at all in the city.  I thought of how incredibly hard it would be to go through something like that alone.  So tonight I went up to the hospital to visit her.  She was tired and the nurses told me I couldn't stay long, but the time we had together was the very best part of my day.  With tears in her eyes, she talked about her life and the country she left to come to Canada in search of a better life for herself and her family back home.  She had been working here and sending money home when she was diagnosed with cancer.  She held my hand and thanked me many times for visiting.  I left her my number and told her to call me so I can go back and visit.  There is no other place I would have rather been this Friday night.

And now, I am thinking about how selfish I can be with my time at home watching t.v. or on the computer, when there are people out there who really need companionship during a difficult time.  I need to rethink how I spend my days and what I have to offer than can really make a difference in someone's life.  That human connection is incredible and the best part, in my opinion, of life.

All the best to everyone out there who's reading : )

2 comments:

  1. The best part is...you seemed to enjoy it, it doesn't sound like you viewed it as a sacrifice of your Friday night. Much more important than anything I did today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is remarkable, one small act of kindness can make such a difference in someone's day, and cost one nothing but a little time.

    ReplyDelete