Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Only Kindness Matters

I had a song stuck in my head for a few weeks.  Actually one line.  It was "only kindness matters....in the end...only kindness matters."  I finally looked it up and it's a hauntingly beautiful song by Jewel.  It's a song about having faith through difficult times and how "we are never broken."  It's a song about being strong through heartache and for fighting for what's right.  There's a line that says "poverty stole your golden shoes, it didn't steal your laughter."  I think I love that line the most.  Pain and despair can strip you of a lot of things, but it can't take everything.  It can't take the essence of who you are.  It can't steal your laughter or your love.  Only you can decide to give that up.

Life can deal us a lot of things we don't like and we can struggle through it all, but deep inside of us is this quiet inner strength and no matter how much we are faced with, our faith carries us through to the other side.  The darkness can't beat me.  That's how I feel right now.

I met some family at a diner tonight.  The waitress was extremely happy and she seemed like a very kind and caring person.  I left a much larger tip than I usually would.  Being a waitress must be one of the hardest jobs out there.  I know I couldn't do it.  Being around kind people is infectious.  They make you want to be better yourself.  In the end, only kindness matters.

Here's a link to the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZiFKi-jpas

2 comments:

  1. Your insight is something that I cherish in you. Keep going the way you are and you will soon find that you are a lot better person that you think you are.

    ReplyDelete