Thursday, October 7, 2010

Hearts are Like Glass

Years ago I ruined a friendship by reacting too quickly, getting angry and saying some hurtful things.  Afterward, I was too embarrassed at the things I said, that I didn't apologize and let the friendship go.  I've always regretted that decision, as I cared very deeply about this person and their family.  I was too caught up in being right and then not strong enough as a person to mend what I broke.  Today I wrote a letter to them apologizing and asking if they could forgive me and relayed how much I cared for their family.  Life is too short to hold grudges and to be concerned about being right.  I had a friend say once "Take care of people's hearts, they are like glass."  It's so true.  Some are like fine crystal and you have to handle them gently.

As I dropped that letter in the mail I felt a pang of butterflies in my stomach for lack of a better word.  Will they forgive me after this many years or think I'm crazy?  Either way, I've tried and told them I am sorry.  A few years to late, but at least it's out there.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. This is very brave! Makes me think about friendships that may need healing and do I have the courage to be the one to take the first step? Thanks for getting me thinking. Love you!

    ReplyDelete