Friday, October 1, 2010

Hitchhikers, Timbits, Tulips and Balloons

I just got home from my travels around the City today and have so many incredible feelings, I don't know where to start.  My initial idea for today was to take some helium filled balloons into a nursing home and just tell the nurses to give them to someone who really needed it today.  Well...this idea snowballed into a little more than I originally planned.  When your attention is brought to kindness and giving, it is amazing how many opportunities are suddenly realized.

I set out to go to a dollar store to find some balloons to get filled.  As I was driving there, I passed a Tim Hortons and thought that it might be nice to take a few Timbits in for the staff at the home, for all the good work they do every day.  So I drive up to Tim Hortons and start to walk in, but notice there is a young girl in her twenties with a few backpack, a cardboard sign and her dog sitting outside on the sidewalk at Tim's.  I walk past her and go inside, but something tells me to get my butt right back out there and talk to her.  I never do this.  It's not that I'm against homeless people asking for money, but usually I'm too shy to approach them and usually end up getting my husband to do it.  So I walk back out and I say "Hi....where you heading?"  She said "Going to BC!"  I ask how she's getting there and she tells me she's hitchhiking.  Oh god.  At least she has the dog, and that dog looked like he'd be good in a bar fight lol  So I said "do you need money?", to which she replied hesitantly "yes."  I gave her $20 and she thanked me a few times.  I said "please take care of yourself," and went inside.

I guess I'd done my random act, but I couldn't quit.  I had a plan and needed to see it through.  I bought the Timbits and then headed down the street for the balloon and a card to go with it.  I wasn't sure what to write, but in the end I addressed it to the staff of the nursing home and it explained everything.  In the nursing home I couldn't find a staff member.  It took some time to finally find someone on the second floor.  By this time I was very nervous and shaky and my heart was pounding.  I felt sooooo awkward.  I mumbled to the women behind the desk something about giving this balloon to someone who needed it.  They looked at me strangely like they didn't quite understand.  "Who is it for?" they said.  I tried explaining it and then finally one of them just said "You mean that this isn't for anyone in particular?  Who is it from?"  I told them it was me and that I just wanted to do something nice for someone.  They both thanked me and I headed back to the elevator.  On the main floor there were two residents selling tulip bulbs to raise money for Alzheimer's.  I talked to them for awhile, bought some bulbs and headed home.

What a day.  I feel happy but overwhelmed at the same time. The whole balloon thing went over pretty awkwardly but I'm sure I'll get better at this lol  It felt wonderful to get out of the house today with a purpose in mind and then having other things come up that I didn't expect.  I am sure that my balloon found a good home, but tonight I will be thinking about that young girl hitchhiking to BC and hoping she makes it there safely.

Thanks again to everyone reading and leaving such amazing comments!  The encouragement is incredible : )

2 comments:

  1. Great start. You made the world a better place today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to burst a bubble if you will, but there are people in the city who will hold those signs saying they are travelling and are always with a dog. Sadly however, I've seen them more than once in the city, the same ones. One time I even seen a man pull a bag full of $$ out of his backpack....Keep on with your RAOK, but please don't be taken advantage of. Not everyone is truthful out there....

    ReplyDelete