Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Your Opinion of Me Is None of My Business

Tonight I was up at the hospital visiting some friends that just had a beautiful baby boy!  It was hard holding the baby, barely 24 hours old, and not feeling a flood of emotions, as I remember my own children being that tiny.   Those first few days and weeks when you're getting acquainted to the new little person in your life is an incredible time and it immediately changes how you think and your role in the world.

Anyway....we rolled out of the parking lot I had an idea to give the Commissioner in the parking booth some money to cover the cost of the next person's parking.  I gave my husband the money and told him what to do.  Here's what the Commissioner said "That doesn't make ANY sense!"   I thought it was explained clearly what we were doing so I am still a bit confused as to his response.  Did giving someone a gift as a stranger not make any sense?  For some reason it didn't feel quite so good as I left the parking lot and even all the way home, but as I am typing this I am reminded that it's not about me or the Commissioner, but about the person who gets free parking.

It's easy to let a negative person spoil something good....if you let it.  I'm choosing not to let it.  We have a choice every day, in everything we do, of whether we will let other people affect us.  A few years ago someone told me of a saying that makes a lot of sense...."Your opinion of me is none of my business."  Good or bad, it's not other people's opinions that count, it's how we feel about ourselves and our own opinion of ourselves that matters.

Have a great night everyone : )

No comments:

Post a Comment