Saturday, November 20, 2010

Lion Plushy

One of my favourite places to go on a weekend is Costco.  I wonder what that actually says about my social life lol  But there is always some new kind of food or item you didn't know you needed every week.  Today I came across this neat plush toy/pillow for a very very good price.  Since I would be going up to the hospital tonight to see my friend, I thought it would be cool to take one to give to a child in the Pediatric ward.

As I walked through the skywalk, the elevator and 3rd floor of the hospital, everyone who saw me coming with this great big oversized Lion plushy couldn't help but smile.  I wonder if anyone, no matter how old, gets tired of goofy looking stuffed animals.  I don't.  I got to the Pediatric ward and unfortunately found that they don't accept donations of stuffed animals because of the germs they might bring in.  At this point I had no idea who to give it to and even though I asked various nurses and interns in the hospital for ideas, I was met with shrugs and "I have no clue."

I was about to walk over the skywalk to the parking lot to leave but came across a woman with a little girl near the cafeteria.  I walked over and quietly told the mom what I had tried to do with the Lion and asked if I could give it to her daughter.  She was very happy and said "yes of course, if she wants it."  I knelt down and asked "would you like this stuffed Lion?"  She replied "No."  I laughed and tried to convince her how great it was by telling her it converted to a big pillow to lay on.  She was so adorable.  Her mom quickly said to her daughter that maybe her brother would want it.  The little girls eyes lit up and she said "Yes!  Andrew would like it.  He's 2 and I'm 4!"  I spoke with her a little more and gave her the Lion.  She commented on how heavy it was.  The animal really was about the size of her!  Her mom thanked me and we left.

Many times I don't get to see the recipients of the gifts I give and their reactions and it really doesn't matter to me, but when I do it gives the warmest feeling.

3 comments:

  1. You are building a lot of good karma...in your next life you will probably come back as a unicorn or a princess. The rest of us might come back as stuffed lions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what's wrong with a stuffed Lion? lol They do seem to make everyone smile : ) I've never thought of it that way...building good Karma....I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet that little girl you gave it too could hardly wait to get home to give her brother the plush toy and see his face light up. m

    ReplyDelete