Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Gold Coins

There's an arcade I used to take the kids to when they were younger to play all sorts of games.  We probably went there at least once a week.  You  pre-purchased tokens and then each game would cost between 1 and 4 to play depending on the complexity.  Afterwards, you could redeem the tickets you won from the games in for prizes.  Or you could save them and wait to buy a bigger prize when you had more.  Gosh we loved that place.

I drove by there tonight after taking one of my girls for ice cream.  At the last minute, I swerved and parked in front.  It was busy inside because there's no school for the kids tomorrow.  I went in and went straight to the automatic coin dispenser, and put in some money.  Within seconds I had a handful of coins.  To me they were sort of like dirty golden quarters, but a little smaller.  To a child they were like wonderful pieces of gold.  They not only guaranteed at least 20 seconds or more of playtime, but at the very least worth a piece of dubble bubble or a tootsie roll!

I quickly scouted the place and found a girl about 8 or 9 years old playing my favourite game.  The one where you roll the ball in front of you, sort of like bowling only a much shorter distance, and instead of pins to knock down, you try to get the ball into a hole worth 50, 100 or 1000 points.  It's not really like bowling at all lol

I turned to the girl and said "Hey....I have some coins I'm not going to use, do you want them?"  She was hesitant at first but her eyes lit up and she said "Sure!  Thank you!"  I gave them to her, told her to have fun and drove home.  I smiled all the way.  That was the best 5 dollars I've spent all week.

3 comments:

  1. That is neat B! But I know how competitive you are. You didn't say it, but I bet after giving her the tokens you probably stayed to try to beat her at the game.

    Now I'm craving ice cream. This blog is hard on my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your daily RAOK especially when you write about your memories it always takes me back to mine own. Some times a person forgets how great life was and is when you get caught up in the grind.
    Thanks
    Char

    ReplyDelete