Friday, November 26, 2010

Orange Juice

A month or so ago, I was shopping and bought two cases of juice that were on sale, one apple and one orange.  Both of my children stay for lunch every day and I like to pack them each a bottle.  After a few days of picking the apple juice to take, they both told me that they don't really like orange juice as they find it too acidic.

In 2007 when I was doing my practicum for a degree in Social Work,  I had a client who lived in Capri Place, which is a place that provides assisted living for disadvantaged people.  It is also "an employment training centre for slow learners and other marginalized people."  The people that live in the Capri live in poverty and life can be very challenging for them.

I was driving by the Capri today with my case of orange juice in the back seat and realized that it might be just the right place to give the case to.  I went in and walked up to the front desk.  A woman met me with a smile and I asked if they could use the orange juice.  Without a moments hesitation she said "yes we can."  I explained that I had bought two cases but my girls said they didn't like orange juice.  She said "ohhhh, picky huh?"  Indeed.

I don't remember being as picky as a child but maybe my memory is just old.  Were we, as kids, less picky 30 or 40 years ago?  Am I turning into my parents?......"Eat those peas!  There are starving kids around the world you know!"  Yes, I've said that, along with "You can't walk?  I used to walk MILES to school every day!"  And I did.  And I ate my peas.  Hmmmm.  I don't think my memory is that bad.  Kids really do have it much easier than we did, so much that it worries me.  But that's a topic for another blog lol

No comments:

Post a Comment