Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Sound of Sunshine

The last couple days have been tough.  Depression hit me hard and fast yesterday morning and I just didn't know how to get out of it.  My sister called me this morning and I was doing okay talking to her until she asked how I was.  Then the tears began and she just listened, as she always does.  It's rare that I will ever reach out to anyone for help.  It's hard to be vulnerable and weak even with family many times.  As we talked, she told me about a video she posted to her son's facebook account.  She said it was a great song to listen to on a down day.  As I hung up the phone, I opened the video and started to smile a little.  It's a song called "The Sound of Sunshine" by Michael Franti.   Part of the chorus says "here I am, just waiting for the storm to pass me by, and that's the sound of sunshine comin' down."

For me, depression is a lot like a storm that comes and passes.  Sometimes it lasts longer and sometimes it's more severe, but it does pass. Today, exercise was my umbrella in this storm.  Yesterday I didn't have the energy to look for the umbrella.  I sat in the storm, letting it beat down on me.  I want to say that it was a choice, but it didn't feel like that yesterday.  It felt like I needed the storm to beat me up a little, so that today I could start to enjoy the sun again.

So my RAOK was to share The Sound Of Sunshine video with some friends on facebook, as my sister did with me.  Maybe there were others out there today that needed a reminder that the storm will pass and that the sun will come out again.

Here's the link you can cut and paste to watch:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqgHosrqJ8o&feature=share

3 comments:

  1. This may sound corny but every time you call or email me you bring the sunshine into my day. Thanks for sharing your journey and I've only listened to this song 10 times this morning.

    Luv Char

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sun with come out tomorrow or singing in the rain are 2 of my favourite childhood songs that some how seem to brighten my day!

    ReplyDelete