Tuesday, November 23, 2010

One Tough Cookie

On the drive to the pool the other night, we picked up one of my daughter's friends to go to swimming class.  After asking how she was doing she told us about a friend of hers and my daughter's who had a bad nosebleed that wouldn't stop.  She ended up in Emergency and even after having it cauterized, they still had to put gauze into her entire nasal cavity for 24 hours.  She was in a great deal of pain.  Apparently the doctor told her that she was "one tough cookie" to go through all of that.  What was really neat is that she had been out shopping that morning and had come across a sweatshirt that she loved that said "one tough cookie" right on it, but she didn't buy it.

Today I went to the mall and found the sweatshirt she mentioned and took it to her tonight.  She had fallen asleep on the couch very early, being overly tired from the ordeal from the previous days.  I talked to her mom and she was doing better.

When I was a kid and feeling down or sick my mom and dad would always buy me gingerale and an Archie comic book.  To this day I can't go through the supermarket checkout without buying one.  I'm still a "Betty and Veronica" fan!

I was watching an episode of Oprah the other day that I'd recorded.  It was her annual Christmas "Favourite Things" giveaway show.  In an hour she gave the entire audience hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gifts, with the final gift being the 2012 Volkswagen Beetle to every single person!  At the end of the show Oprah made a statement which I loved.  She said "My Favourite Things show is really not about all the stuff.  While the "stuff" is fun, for me it's about hope.  Hope that something magical and joyful and wonderful can happen when you least expect it."

Oprah is one smart woman.  Some of the most magical moments in life really are ones that you don't expect : )

No comments:

Post a Comment