Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Warm Meal

This morning I took my daughter for an orthodontist appointment downtown.  Since parking is so bad down there, I usually just drive and listen to music in my truck while I wait for her. I dropped her off but as I pulled away, someone was pulling out in front of me and I got a great spot.  This section of downtown is very busy, so I was not surprised when I saw an older man sitting on the freezing ground outside one of the shops with his hat on the ground.  He wasn't bothering anyone, he just sat watching people scurrying by in the cold to get to their next destination.  Other vagrants would stop to talk to him and I wondered what kind of life he must have to sit there on the freezing ground in hopes that someone would drop money in his hat.

I looked in my rear view window and spotted a Vietnamese diner that I sometimes go to when I'm downtown shopping.  I sat there debating whether to give him some money or to scoot over and get him a meal.

Sitting in the diner after having ordered, I watched him through the window from where I sat.  It's hard to see people like that without thinking about the circumstances of their life that led up to this moment.  Many people have told me that there's no excuse for not "getting a job" or "begging" for money.  Well...having advocated for people on social assistance in the past and knowing a little about people on the streets, this is simply not true.  An array of circumstances brings people to this situation and no, there isn't a job out there for everyone.  

Crossing the street, my heart was racing out of my chest as I tried to think of a way to approach him.  I get so nervous meeting new people and offering help.  But this is what I signed up for.  To help others and in turn help myself with my own insecurities.

Finally I walked up and asked "Are you hungry?  I have a meal from that diner across the street and wondered if you'd like it?"  He smiled and reached up with his blackened hands and said "yes, thank you."

I can only hope he has a warm place to sleep tonight.  It's getting very very cold in this City.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! This one brought a tear to my eyes. Ok, I'm lying, was bawling my head off. How beautiful and touching.

    ReplyDelete