Sunday, December 19, 2010

Even Silence Has an End

Can you imagine living in a jungle for 6 and 1/12 years, sometimes on the ground on a plastic sheet, often with chains around your neck while all sorts of stinging insects and other bugs shared your bed? Can you imagine being caged like an animal and humiliated and abused while being separated from your children for such a length of time?  This is exactly what Ingrid Batencourt survived while being kidnapped by a group of geurrillas known as the FARC in Columbia.   Batencourt has written a book about her life from the moment of her kidnapping to the point in which she becomes free.  The story is one of fear, survival, courage and inspiration...a few among many themes.  What amazed me the most is how this woman refused to crumble under the worst of circumstances.  It's inspiring how people can survive the most horrible of circumstances while I am sometimes afraid to walk down the street on days when my anxiety is at it's peak.  She is truly an inspiration and I feel lucky to have come across her story.  Her words and insights will stay with me for a long time.

I wanted to write this review last night after reading the final chapters but I fell sound asleep.  I wanted to find an address for Ms. Batencourt and tell her what I think of her, but that will have to happen today.  Her book is called "Even Silence Has an End."

No comments:

Post a Comment