Friday, December 3, 2010

Red Kettle

My apologies...I fell asleep last night with my computer on my lap and barely got the first paragraph finished.  I can't believe I do that! lol  So here is my story for yesterday : )

If you've ever been shopping around Christmas time, there's little doubt that you haven't heard the bells of the Salvation Army's Red Kettle fundraiser.  Every year they set up in high traffic areas, mostly at the entrance to buildings, a "kettle" for donations with a bell ringer to attract passersby.  This custom actually begin as far back as 1891 when Captain Joseph McFee saw the need to raise money to help feed the poor.  Today the money is used to help the needy, sick and other less fortunate individuals around Christmas time.

While leaving Walmart I stopped to put a few dollars in the kettle.  There was a very kind elderly man sitting and ringing a bell.  We had a nice long chat about the cold weather, his health, recent vacations and where he's off to for Christmas.  I came away feeling really good from talking to him.  I think I needed that chat today more than he did.  It always puts a smile on my face when complete strangers will take the time to talk and share a bit of their lives with you, just making that human connection.

It's ironic.  I came home and opened my mail and read a very interesting story sent to me about a man who does something kind for an elderly woman.  At the end of the story was a message I will never forget:

"People may not remember exactly what you did or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel."

2 comments:

  1. The lst comment is sooooooooo right. I remember walking a sweet little girl part of the way to school. At the corner where the Post Office was located she would giove me a hug and a kiss the would leave me with a big smile and a warm heart filled with unconditional love. It stopped one day but the smile has never gone away nor has the warm heart filled with her unconditioal love.
    Thanks for a memory that will never go away

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those days too and I remember how you made me feel when you decorated my bike for the parade every year : )

    ReplyDelete