Monday, January 17, 2011

Your Priorities Are Not Other People's Priorities

Have you noticed how life throws lessons at you?  Sometimes you ignore them and sometimes, after the lesson has been thrown at you several dozen times, you finally get it,   I've never been a very organized person and not very good at keeping up with relationships that needed to be tended to.  And it's ironic how at times I've been upset when someone hasn't gotten back to me to say thank you or called when I thought they would have or been careless with my heart.  I heard a quote a few months ago and I think it was Sharon Osbourne that said it.  She was on the Apprentice and was commenting about other people's lack of not getting back to her about important things.  She said something that I haven't forgotten.  "Your priorities are not other people's priorities."

It's easy to feel a sense of urgency in getting an answer or to expect something of others, but simply put, you are not always high on someone else's list of priorities.  They have lives that are as busy and as complicated as yours is.  But today I wanted to make someone who I've recently met feel like they are a priority and important.  I sent them a card thanking them for a visit and lunch.  Even if you aren't always a priority in someone's life, it sure feels good when they make you feel like they are.  And it doesn't take much.  A card, a call, a text or even a hello on facebook.  Make people feel special and worthy today...it only takes a second.

No comments:

Post a Comment