Thursday, January 20, 2011

Coward

Last night my hubby and I went to get a few groceries.  I remembered that earlier on in the day I had been to the drugstore and they had a promotion on and I ended up with a free $10 gift card to Tim Hortons.  When I entered the grocery store, I immediately started to scout out who I might give the card to.  As I did, I just started feeling more and more nervous.  Who imagined that it would be so hard to just walk up to a stranger and give them a gift?  I've struggled with this in the past but didn't think it would be such an issue last night.

Finally we had everything we wanted and I still hadn't given the card away.  I even gave it to my husband at one point and pleaded "pleeeease give this to that man over there."  He laughed and said "YOU do it!"  Well....I just couldn't.  I couldn't get up the nerve.  We were walking out of the store and I commented on how hard it was to approach someone and I wasn't sure why.  He replied that it was hard for him too.

So I sat in a freezing truck after we'd loaded the groceries, waiting for it to heat up a little, when I had an idea.  Someone had pulled up beside me in the parking lot and went into the store.  We waited until the person was far enough away so that he wouldn't see me, and then I slipped the card under his windshield.

Feeling like a coward, I drove home.  A coward...but a happy one.

1 comment:

  1. Yes it is sometimes hard to approach people we don't know. We imagine they will think we have an alterior motive and refuse our good intensions. We have all been taught if it seems to good to be true then it probably is. So don't beat yourself up, you are not alone. m

    ReplyDelete