Monday, February 28, 2011

Cab Fare

Today I had to spend 4 hours in the ER with suspected appendicitis.  I am relieved to know that it's not that.

With the thin curtain that separates you from your neighbour, you can't help but hear what is going on with the person beside you.  I could tell the woman beside me was in a lot of pain and as it turned out, she had thrown her back out.  I did that 3 weeks ago and ended up flat on my back in bed for a day and a half.  Well...hers was probably 10 times worse and I saw the agony in her eyes when she had to get up to use the bathroom.  She had also explained to the doctor that it took her over half an hour to walk 3 blocks to the hospital.  So, after a few hours, a painkiller and a prescription, she was being released.  On her way out I told my husband to give her money for a cab ride home.  I cannot imagine walking for even a block in the condition she was in, and to make matters worse, it was blizzarding and very very cold.

Winter, you can leave anytime now.

1 comment:

  1. Bless you for giving that lady cab fare, it's hard to imagine that someone in that much pain had to walk to the hospital, no money for cab fare or even a friend to call for help, makes one feel so fortunate to have family and friends to count on in time of need. m

    ReplyDelete