Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Spider and the Sage

In India there is a story about a kind, quiet man who would pray in the Ganges River every morning.  One day after praying, he saw a poisonous spider struggling in the water and cupped his hands to carry it ashore.  As he placed the spider on the ground, it stung him.  Unknowingly, his prayers for the world diluted the poison.

The next day the same thing happened.  On the third day the kind man was knee deep in the river; and, sure enough there was the spider, legs frantic in the water.  As the man went to lift the creature yet again, the spider said "Why do you keep lifting me?  Can't you see I will sting you every time because that is what I do."  And the kind man cupped his hands about the spider, replying "Because that is what I do."

There are many reasons to be kind.  Why, when loved ones cry, we try to soothe them.  When things break, we try to put them together.  It's just what we do.  Human beings lift each other, no matter what the consequence.  Even when other beings sting.  The Spider and the Sage.

I sent flowers to someone late last week who I thought could use them.  Someone who is going through a challenge.  I was a bit surprised and a little upset when I didn't get a phone call to say thank you.  Then I read the above passage today and it became clear to me that it doesn't matter. We are here to lift each other...no matter what.

1 comment:

  1. There are lots of spiders in the world. Thank God there are angels to lift us up. It's what you do.

    ReplyDelete